HOW CONSISTENCY WAS (IS) MY KEY TO LONG TERM WEIGHT LOSS
SUCCESS IS NOT WHAT WE DO ONCE IN A WHILE, IT’S WHAT WE DO CONSISTENTLY.
Being CONSISTENT means you behave in the same way over time and you have the same attitude towards something to achieve success.
HOW CONSISTENCY WORKED FOR ME:
- I STARTED PERFORMING SMALL TASKS ONE DAY AT A TIME: It was about developing habits. I was dedicated to exercising for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, along with cutting my food portions, even if it was just one thing a day.
When you start creating new habits it may not make a huge impact today, next week, or even months from now. However over extended time you accelerate your momentum and start noticing differences!
*Imagine you exercised just 30-45 minutes a day for 5 days a week- or burned 300 calories a day. It could be as simple as walking for 40 minutes.
That would equal to burning 1500 calories a week=6000 calories burned in a month. That could be a loss of half a pound a week, 2 pounds a month, or 24 pounds in a year!
*Now imagine you regularly snacked on a bag of chips or had a fancy coffee drink- or consumed just an extra 300 calories a day.
2. I REALIZED MY HEALTH WAS NOT OPTIONAL! It wasn’t necessarily that I was super unhealthy but I had high blood pressure and slightly elevated cholesterol, not to mention all the extra weight on my joints. It was probably only going to get worse if I didn’t lose weight and start taking care of myself. I admit that in the beginning I tried different diets that did not work long term. Consistency was what finally made me realize that this was my health and I couldn’t keep starting over!
That would = 1500 calories a week=6000 calories a month. Which would be a gain of half a pound a week, 2 pounds a month or 24 in a year. The choice is yours.
3. I COULDN’T EXPECT IMMEDIATE RESULTS: We all want instant gratification. This is one of my biggest obstacles when working with clients. It’s difficult to keep them motivated and progressing long term. For me it was focusing on getting my 30 minutes of exercise everyday, whether is was walking or doing a video. There were many times I squeezed it in early in the morning or at lunch. It did not come easy to pass by Burger King at times but it was important that I FOCUSED on that moment only! It’s much easier to choose what’s easiest, fun, or convenient however that’s not what got me to where I am today. I would ask myself “ How did I get this way?
4. REPETITION, REPETITION, REPETITION!: If you repeat or do the same thing over and over again you will be successful.
Like other aspects of your life~ what if you…
*consistently study hard~ you will do well in school and obtain a degree
* consistently go to bed at a regular time~ you will feel rested and alert
*consistently prepare & plan meals~ you won’t be tempted to get take out or go through the drive thru.
If you want faster results then extreme consistent action is required. By repeating a task you gain feedback from these actions and adjust to them to help you stay on track.
5. I WORKED HARD 80% OF THE TIME: It was difficult to stay focused 100% of the time, there were times when I indulged in ice cream or just didn’t have time to workout .I was not perfect but I always had my end goal in sight. Most of us struggle with consistency because we live for short term success, if we don’t get immediate results from our actions we don’t see the point in continuing.
One day you will look back in awe on where it all began in disbelief at the progress you have made! 🙂